The Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS), along with local hosts, the San Antonio Genealogical and Historical Society (SAGHS) and the Texas State Genealogical Society (TSGS), will be holding its annual conference – Gone to Texas – in beautiful and vibrant San Antonio, Texas, from Wednesday, August 27 to Saturday, August 30, 2014. Here are some facts and figures about the conference and its impact on the genealogical community as well as the economy of Fort Wayne and the state of Indiana.
- FGS has 500+ member societies representing more than 500,000 genealogists.
- FGS was formed in 1976 when it was chartered by the State of Illinois. The first national FGS conference was held in Decatur, Illinois in Fall, 1981.
- The upcoming Gone to Texas conference will attract close to 2,000 attendees from all over the United States and the world.
- The conference in San Antonio boasts over 160 lectures and workshops presented by the nation's leading genealogical speakers.
- Social events include An Evening at the Institute of Texan Cultures and A Night in Old San Antonio.
- FGS is looking forward to another exciting Exhibit Hall at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center. The Hall will feature the latest software, books, maps, databases, and gadgets on the market for genealogists and family historians.
- The host hotel, the Marriott Riverwalk, is solidly booked with conference attendees.
- FGS conference attendees and their families will flock to restaurants, shops and historic sites.
To learn more about Gone to Texas:
- FGS 2014 Conference Website - http://www.fgsconference.org
- FGS Conference News Blog - http://www.fgsconference.org/blog
- San Antonio Genealogical and Historical Society - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txsaghs2/
- Texas State Genealogical Society - http://www.txsgs.org
- FGS on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/FGSgenealogy
- FGS on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/FGSgenealogy
- FGS Twitter hastag #FGS2014