Activities

HISTORICAL SITES


Copyright Richard Nowitz/SACVB

The Alamo

Originally named Mission San Antonio de Valero, the Alamo served as home to missionaries and their Indian converts for nearly seventy years. Construction began on the present site in 1724. In 1793, Spanish officials secularized San Antonio's five missions and distributed their lands to remaining Indian residents. These men and women continued to farm the fields, once the mission's but now their own, and participated in the growing community of San Antonio. The Alamo is conveniently located within walking distance of our conference hotel.


Copyright Doug Wilson/SACVB

The Missions of San Antonio

Five missions were established along the San Antonio River in the eighteenth century. They were the largest concentration of Catholic missions in North America. Be sure to visit these historic sites during your conference week.



Copyright Doug Wilson/SACVB

The River Walk of
San Antonio

One story below the street level of San Antonio is the beautiful River Walk of San Antonio. Take a stroll or a boat ride and enjoy the beautiful landscape and pathways, the waterfalls and quiet pools and the outdoor art and patio restaurants. In 1929 the River Walk was but a vision of a young architect. Today, it has grown into one of the most beautiful places found in the center of a busy city.